The Vieux Carré Property Owners, Residents, and Associates, or VCPORA, is a leader in the historic preservation movement, having been organized in the 1920s and incorporated on June 8, 1938. VCPORA is one of the oldest architectural and community preservation non-profit organizations in the United States and serves as an advocate for sound planning and zoning rules and the protection of the French Quarter’s architecture and quality of life. Dedicated in its charter to the “preservation, restoration, beautification, and general betterment of the Vieux Carré,” it has been continuously active in these pursuits for over 80 years.
Today, VCPORA plays an important part in protecting the French Quarter by:
- Informing members and the public generally about preservation and zoning issues
- Working with the Vieux Carré Commission and other city agencies to maintain the neighborhood’s architectural integrity
- Working with municipal authorities to monitor and improve enforcement
- Educating the community via programs about history and preservation
- Promoting the neighborhood’s residential characteristics
- Fostering relationships with businesses to improve the quality of life for all
The board of directors of the Vieux Carré Property Owners, Residents and Associates, Inc. seeks a well-organized, energetic, and personable individual to manage the daily operations of the office and to assist in implementing programs and activities related to the organization’s mission. He/she will work under the supervision of the Executive Director to provide a strong organizational base and to improve administrative functions throughout VCPORA. He/she will foster cooperative working relationships among the board, staff, volunteers, and community and will work to raise the level of public awareness and participation in the group’s activities. The position involves administrative and clerical duties and includes numerous opportunities for interaction with city government, agencies, residents, and business leaders.
Specific responsibilities are listed below.
- Responsible for general office management
- Serves as the email and telephone point-of-contact for all general information and liaises with the Executive Director as necessary
- Works with board treasurer to implement good practices in maintaining ledger, including processing checks, overseeing PayPal and Stripe payments, making bank deposits, processing invoices, creating spreadsheets, and maintaining inventory
- Assists in the production and execution of events and programs, such as the annual Gala, monthly At Home in the Vieux Carré events, educational programs, and committee meetings, as well as varied public meetings and forums as they arise
- Assists in monitoring public agency activities, rulings, and legislation
- Supervises, schedules, and trains volunteers working in the office to complete such tasks as mass mailings, event preparation, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Engagement and Development
- Maintains online membership database, as well as serving existing members, soliciting new members, and creating specialized mailing lists
- Updates the website to ensure it is timely, engaging, and informative
- Maintains social media on Facebook and Instagram
- Assists in the production of weekly email updates and other alerts
- Maintains organization calendar (including online version) and updates Executive Director, board president, and committee chairs as necessary
- Organizes and maintains office supplies, event materials, printed matter, etc.
- Supervises and facilitates production of email and print invitations
- Supervised by and works closely with the Executive Director
- Works with board committees
- Meets the public as a representative of VCPORA
- Attends and participates in City Council, Vieux Carré Commission, City Planning Commission, and other meetings as necessary
- Executes and attends VCPORA events
Professional Qualifications and Requirements
- B.A. in history, business, hospitality, historic preservation, urban studies, or related field preferred
- At least one year of clerical and administrative experience
- Flexible as to tasks and hours
- Dedicated to the mission of VCPORA
- Ability to supervise, train, and work well with volunteers
- Basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Adobe or equivalent, email and membership programs, and social networking sites; QuickBooks and online public database experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Some lifting and extensive standing required
- Willing to learn and pursue education in areas of deficiency
- Strong work ethic
Permanent, full-time position, paid holidays and annual leave after six months, occasional evening and weekend work. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and any other materials electronically to:
Ms. Meg Lousteau, Executive Director, VCPORA at firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: applicants must put “Executive Assistant Position” in the subject line
Deadline for Applications: March 12, 2018