Small businesses, single-family dwellings and multi-family dwellings that are eligible for solid waste collection by the City are eligible for curbside recycling collection by the City. Eligible properties include those with four units or less, which generate less than 35 gallons of solid waste at each routine collection within the French Quarter.
Orleans Parish residents should call 311 between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm, Monday-Friday, to register for the curbside recycling program and to arrange for the 18-gallon blue recycling bins provided by the City.
Recycling bins should be placed curbside no earlier than 7PM each Monday, but before 4AM Tuesday to ensure pick-up.
Items that can be recycled Monday evenings include:
- Paper (newspaper, magazines, junk mail, office paper, phone books, catalogs)
- Plastics (#1 through #7)
- Small metal cans (aluminum, steel, tin)
- Paperboard (cereal boxes, toothpaste boxes)
- Waxed cartons (juice boxes, milk cartons)
Do-not-recycle items include:
- glass (to be recycled separately on Thursdays)
- plastic bags & film
- bubble wrap
- pizza boxes
- food contaminated containers
- items for trash
View full list of items that can be recycled curbside and how to sort them here.
We’ve been getting lots of questions about glass recycling ever since media reports on the low levels of participation, so here are the details:
- Glass is collected from eligible properties on Thursday mornings. (Follow our calendar for reminders!)
- Containers for collection are blue or black recycling bins with the recycling logo imprinted. Blue bins can be delivered to eligible properties, at no cost, by calling 311 for the City of New Orleans to register for the program.
- Only glass is to be placed in the blue recycling bins on Thursday mornings. It is recycled by a different processing company.
- Glass is not to be included with the paper, cardboard, metals and plastics which are collected on Tuesdays for recycling
- Recycling bins are to be placed in front of the eligible property by 4:00 a.m. on the designated collection days
- Properties eligible to receive sanitation services from the City of New Orleans are: 4 units or less, not a hotel, restaurant or bar and do not generate more than 35 gallons of solid waste at each regular collection.
- The City Contractor added a second recycling day for the collection of glass only. We do not have a local recycling company that accepts glass and other items in the single stream process. Glass is not be commingled with other recyclables as it tends to break and often leads to the contamination the other items. Contamination reduces the ability to recycle paper and cardboard.
To report illegal dumping, call 311 or click here.
Department of Sanitation
1300 Perdido St, Suite 1W03
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone 311 or (504) 658-2299
Fax (504) 658-3801