Incorporated on June 8, 1938, Vieux Carré Property Owners, Residents and Associates (VCPORA) is one of the oldest architectural and community preservation non-profit organizations in the United States. We are dedicated to the preservation and protection of the Vieux Carré as an international historic treasure, a major cultural and economic asset, and a living residential neighborhood that is valued and respected by all.
The organization focuses on advocating for sound land use planning, sensitive architectural stewardship, infrastructure, sustainable tourism, expanding residential capacity, and fostering civic participation. In addition, VCPORA hosts educational programming to advance preservation and historic understanding, as well as social events that connect the community and celebrate the neighborhood fabric of the French Quarter.
The board of directors of VCPORA seeks a well-organized, energetic, and personable individual to manage the daily operations of the office and to assist in implementing programs and activities related to the organization’s mission. The Executive Assistant will work under the supervision of the Executive Director to provide a strong organizational base and to improve administrative functions throughout VCPORA. They will foster cooperative working relationships among the board, volunteers, and community and will work to raise the level of public awareness and participation in the group’s activities. The position involves administrative and clerical duties and includes numerous opportunities for interaction with city government, agencies, residents, and business leaders.
Specific responsibilities are listed below.
- Responsible for general office management
- Maintains organization calendar for use by staff and board
- Serves as the email and telephone point-of-contact for all general information and liaises with the Executive Director as necessary; provides solutions to residents with quality of life concerns
- Works with board treasurer to track finances
- Assists in the production and execution of events and programs, such as the annual Gala, monthly At Home in the Vieux Carréevents, educational programs, and committee meetings
- Assists in monitoring public agency activities, rulings, and legislation
- Supervises, schedules, and trains volunteers working in the office
Communications and Engagement
- Maintains online membership database
- Maintains the website to ensure it is engaging and informative
- Maintains social media on Facebook and Instagram
- Produces weekly email updates and other alerts
- Designs and produces graphic materials
Professional Qualifications and Requirements
- B.A. in history, business, hospitality, historic preservation, urban studies, or related field preferred
- At least one year of clerical and administrative experience
- Flexible as to tasks and hours
- Ability to supervise, train, and work well with volunteers
- Basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Adobe or equivalent, email and membership programs, and social networking sites; QuickBooks, HTML, CSS, WordPress, Photoshop, and Illustrator experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Some lifting and extensive standing required
- Willing to learn and pursue education in areas of deficiency
- Dedicated to the mission of VCPORA
Permanent, full-time position, paid holidays, and annual leave after six months, occasional evening and weekend work. There are no health or retirement benefits for this position.
Salary range: $30,000 – $35,000 depending on experience.
Start date: mid to late July 2021
Please send a resume, writing sample, and graphic design example electronically to:
Ms. Erin Holmes, Executive Director, VCPORA at email@example.com
NOTE: Applicants must put “Executive Assistant Position” in the subject line
Deadline for Applications: June 20, 2021