The Department of Public Works Parking Division is responsible for enforcement of City ordinances in regard to public safety by managing curb space (on-street parking) in certain densely populated areas. Measures include ticketing and towing violating vehicles, immobilizing vehicles, and towing abandoned vehicles. This division is also responsible for establishing and managing residential parking zones throughout the City.

Residential Parking Permit

Residential Parking permits are available to full-time residents of the French Quarter, including both property owners and renters. These are required to park on certain streets, mainly the residential sections of the French Quarter, for longer than two hours.

There has recently been a number of changes to the RPP application process. The city’s website has a very informative FAQ section detailing a number of common concerns.

To obtain a permit, you can apply online or in person at:

City of New Orleans – Parking Division
RPP Office – Room 2W89
1300 Perdido St.
New Orleans, LA 70112

Phone: (504) 658-8200
Hours of Operation: 8am-5pm (Monday – Friday)
Cashiering: 9am–4pm
Residential Parking Permit: 8am-4pm (Monday – Friday)

Steps and Documents needed:

  • Residential Parking Permit Application (you must have a residential parking permit to apply for a visitor’s permit)
  • Verification of your resident status
  • A lease or mortgage AND a utility bill (Entergy or Sewerage and Water Board) at the address for which you would like a permit
  • A copy of your current driver’s license matching the address for which you would like a permit
  • A current vehicle registration matching the address
  • Note: When a vehicle is titled in a company’s name and assigned to the resident for personal use, a letter from the company (on company stationary) must be presented identifying the resident; residential parking permit address; make, model and license plate number of the vehicle; and the motor vehicle registration identifying the company as the registered owner of the vehicle.
  • Applicants with motor vehicles registered in another state may apply for a temporary 30-day permit. Applicants must present a valid driver’s license and motor vehicle registration from their home state; a rental or lease agreement; and a utility bill (Entergy or Sewerage and Water Board) for the designated address.

For questions about the Residential Parking Permit Program, please call (504) 658-8200.

For information about parking tickets, new parking meters, renting a meter, and other parking matters visit the City’s website.