- Informing members and the public generally about preservation and zoning issues
- Working with the Vieux Carre Commission to maintain the neighborhood’s architectural integrity
- Educating the community via programs about history and preservation
- Promoting the neighborhood’s residential characteristics
- Fostering relationships with businesses to improve the quality of life for all
- Working with municipal authorities to monitor and improve enforcement
The organization’s mission is “To preserve the Vieux Carré as a national treasure, to maintain its quaint and distinctive character and to achieve in that historic, living neighborhood a quality of life which can be enjoyed by residents, fellow citizens, businesses and visitors.”
The board of directors of the Vieux Carré Property Owners, Residents and Associates, Inc. seeks a well-organized, energetic, and personable individual to manage the daily operations of the office and to assist in implementing programs and activities related to the organization’s mission. He/she will work under the supervision of the Executive Director to provide a strong organizational base and to improve administrative functions throughout VCPORA. He/she will foster cooperative working relationships among the board, staff, volunteers, and community and will work to raise the level of public awareness and participation in the group’s activities. The position involves administrative and clerical duties and includes numerous opportunities for interaction with city government, agencies, residents, and business leaders.
Specific responsibilities are listed below.
- Responsible for general office management
- Serves as the email and telephone point-of-contact for all general information and liaises with the Executive Director as necessary.
- Works with board treasurer to implement good practices in handling receipts and disbursals, including processing checks, making bank deposits, processing invoices, creating spread sheets, monitoring sales, and maintaining merchandise inventory.
- Supervises, schedules, and trains volunteers working in the office to complete such tasks as mass mailings, packet assembly, etc.
- Assists in the production of events and programs, such as the annual gala, monthly “At Home” events, educational programs, committee meetings, etc.
- Assists in monitoring public agency activities, rulings, and legislation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains computerized membership lists, including servicing existing members, soliciting new members, and creating specialized mailing lists.
- Updates the website to ensure it is timely, attractive, and informative.
- Assists in the production of weekly email updates.
- Supervises and facilitates production of email and print invitations.
- Maintains computer and hard-copy files.
- Maintains organization calendar and updates Executive Director, board president, and committee chairs as necessary.
- Organizes and maintains office supplies, event materials, printed matter, etc.
- Supervised by and works closely with the Executive Director.
- Works with board committees.
- Meets the public as a representative of VCPORA.
- Attends City Council, Vieux Carré Commission, City Planning Commission, and other meetings as necessary.
- Attends VCPORA events.
Professional Qualifications and Requirements
- B.A. in history, business, hospitality, historic preservation, or related field preferred.
- At least one year of clerical and administrative experience.
- Flexible as to tasks and hours.
- Dedicated to the mission of VCPORA.
- Ability to supervise, train, and work well with volunteers.
- Basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Adobe or equivalent, mailing list and membership programs, and social networking sites.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Some light lifting and extensive standing may be required.
- Willing to learn and pursue education in areas of deficiency.
- Strong work ethic.
Permanent, full-time position, at least 40 hours per week, paid holidays and annual leave after six months, occasional evening and weekend work. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and any other materials electronically to:
Ms. Meg Lousteau, Executive Director, VCPORA at firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: applicants must put “Executive Assistant Position” in the subject line
Deadline for Application: December 23, 2014